All You Need To Know About Terrazzo Floor Restoration and Polishing
Terrazzo flooring is created with the use of marble chips along with units of natural stones combined with a cement-based binder. These marble and stone chips warrant a glossy appearance to the flooring upon polishing.
In order to retain their shine, these floors need to be cleaned optimally, then have to be recoated with a layer of floor sealer—these aid towards maintaining its shine and luster. Once it is old, alludes to crystallizing its surface with the use of an acid solution. This solution is ground with a planetary grinder followed by a buffing process with a polishing powder, making the floor shine again.
Further, suppose you were to consider the applications of terrazzo floor polishing in terms of its do-it-yourself capacity. In that case, it is feasible if you can procure the right tools and polishing equipment that you are sure won't damage the tiles. These include materials like a planetary grinder, diamond abrasives, crystallization solutions, and polishing powder. Even after acquiring these, the application of these requires highly technical skills. Thus, it is advised that you hire professional terrazzo floor polishing services to get a good quality finish and end-result that a first-time DIYer can never achieve.
The Preceding Steps Before Terrazzo Floor Polishing --
- Clean The Floor: A consistent and thorough cleaning of the terrazzo surfaces is requisite to retain their quality and shiny surface. These require a cleaning averaging twice every week in order to maintain its high-gloss look to last for a longer duration before terrazzo floor restoration can be thought of. The cleaning procedure involves a series of steps, the first of which is the removal of loose debris, dirt or dust particles from the floor with the help of a broom or dry mop. This should be followed by a wet-mopping of the entire floor using water or any pH-neutral cleaning solution. Lastly, wipe the floor with a well-wrung mop or a vacuum cleaner to rid it of any residual moisture.
- Seal The Floor: Notably, the cement binder used in terrazzo is porous and can easily acquire liquid stains. In order to avoid this one, you need to seal and resell these surfaces occasionally. Again the sealing process of the terrazzo flooring involves a systematic procedure. First, for the terrazzo floor restoration, one needs to eliminate the previously applied layer of sealer prior to resealing. Second, use a floor scraping tool to take off any loose old sealant residue from the floor. Now rinse the floor with clean water and consider removing any rust stains and leaving the floor dry. Upon drying, the fresh coat of sealer can be reapplied with the use of a paint roller. Let this layer dry completely post its completion, then proceed to apply another final coat. After this is done, take a precaution not to walk over this surface for around a day to let the sealer dry appropriately.
Terrazzo Floor Polishing --
There are three methods to employ here: Recrystallisation, Use of polishing powder, and Diamond polishing. Diamond polished terrazzo surfaces can retain their shiny look for a bigger length of time, even if it's the most expensive one. However, with the optimisation of the other two methods, they are bound to lose their shine after two years.
- Diamond Polishing Method: Diamond-polished terrazzo floors require limited maintenance compared to those polished by powder or recrystallisation. This is due to their propensity to maintain a high-gloss finish for an extended duration, with the need for for around eight more years. After diamond abrasion, polishing is employed by passing medium-grit; this is followed by fine-grit diamond bits upon the surface. The final result is aesthetically appealing and gives you a high-gloss finish.
- Recrystallisation method: Crystallisation is called vitrification and is a process wherein polishing surfaces like terrazzo is taken up with an acid solution, steel wool pad, and a grinding/polishing machine. A small amount is poured over the flooring, then the polishing machine affixed with the steel wool pad is equipped to lap the solution over the surface. When this process occurs, the acid alters the surface, and a glossy appearance is obtained. This is a result of the fluorosilicate calcium layer at the top of the terrazzo floor.
- Polishing Powder Method: With this method, the buffing of the terrazzo flooring takes place. Here, a pH-neutral polishing powder and a buffing machine with soft pads are required. The polishing powder is poured over the surface, followed by the buffing of the floor.
The following details threw light on the methods of the terrazzo floor polishing process and all that is required to ensure a thorough restoration of the flooring.