Fertility Treatment Options for Men & Women
If you are trying to get pregnant for quite some and haven't seen any result then you might have infertility issues. Infertility can occur in both men and women. Infertility is defined as the inability to get pregnant after a year or than that of unprotected intercourse. Infertility can mean that one partner cannot contribute to or that women are unable to carry over with pregnancy to full term. Infertility has various treatments nowadays and if you want to get pregnant, you can diagnose the problem and undergo proper treatment from the best fertility clinic in Bangkok.
Causes of Fertility in Men
Both men and women have equal chances of facing infertile issues. The following are some common causes of infertility in men.
The sperm produced by men during orgasm is the male gamete that fuses with the egg to form an embryo. The problems associated with sperm and semen is:
- Low Sperm Count: when a man ejaculates a low sperm count of less than 15 million is considered to be abnormal. Around one-third of the couples face problems in conceiving due to low sperm count.
- Low Mobility: when the mobility of the sperm is low, it cannot reach the egg for fusion.
- Abnormal Sperm: when the sperm is different from its original shape, problems will arise due to difficulty in moving and fertilization.
There might be various reasons for male infertility such as Genetic factors, mumps, cystic fibrosis, radiation therapy, drugs, and more.
Causes of Infertility in Women
As women are the ones who carry the baby, they tend to have a range of factors that might lead to infertility. The risk factors leading to infertility are age, smoking, alcohol, being obese or overweight, eating disorders, diet, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and stress. Apart from these stress factors, the causes include ovulation disorders, Problems in the uterus or fallopian tubes, Medications, treatments, and drugs and cholesterol.
The specialist at Bangkok infertility clinic will diagnose the couple and will determine the cause of infertility. Then he will suggest the best treatment option based on the cause of fertility.
Fertility Treatments for Men
As mentioned above, the fertility treatment will be dependent on the cause of infertility
- In the case of Erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation, the best treatment is medications and change in behavior
- Surgical removal of varicose veins in the scrotum might help people with varicocele
- In case of any blockage in the ejaculatory duct, the sperm can be extracted from the testicles and is injected directly into an egg in vitro.
- Surgery for epididymal blockage: The epididymis is a coil-like structure present in the testicles that stores and transports sperm. The blockage of the epididymis may affect the ejaculation of sperm.
Fertility Treatments in Women
- If the problem is due to ovulation, drugs will be prescribed to induce ovulation such as Clomifene (Clomid, Serophene), Metformin, Follicle-stimulating hormone, Human chorionic gonadotropin (Ovidrel, Pregnyl), and Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (Gn-RH) analogs, and more.
- Surgical procedures are also used to treat infertility when the reason is blocked fallopian or endometriosis.
In case the treatment doesn’t work or the problem cannot be treated, the couple can undergo the assisted conception procedure from the best Bangkok fertility center to get pregnant.
IUI (Intrauterine Insemination): the sperm sample collected from the donor or partner is placed directly into the women’s uterus via a catheter. This procedure is done when a man has low sperm count, decreased motility, or the cause of infertility is not identified.
IVF (In Vitro Fertilization): the sperm and egg are retrieved from the patients and it is fertilized in vitro. The embryo is then implanted into a woman's womb after 3 to 5 days of growth when it is in the blastocyst stage.
GIFT (Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer) and ZIFT (Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer): the egg and sperm are collected and it is brought together by artificial means. In GIFT both are placed in the fallopian tube while in ZIFT, the gametes are fertilized outside and the single-cell zygote is placed in the fallopian tube.
Patients need not worry when they have an infertility issue as there are various treatments to solve them. You can visit the best fertility clinic near me and get proper treatment.