When are you going to need IUI Treatment?
Assisted reproductive technology or most commonly known as ART has helped people for years who are suffering from fertility issues. The ART is of various types such as in vitro fertilization and intrauterine insemination. The IUI is a process that is used when the male has issues with the quality and count of the sperm. IVF is one of the recognized procedures to bypass fertility issues and get pregnant. However, IUI is also a great procedure with good chances of success. In this article let us take a look at IUI and when you can use it.
What is IUI?
Intrauterine insemination or artificial insemination is an assisted reproductive technology. In this procedure, the sperm is directly injected into the uterus of women. During the natural contraception method, the sperm will travel directly through the cervix into the uterus and reach the fallopian tube where the fertilization will take place. Whereas, in IUI the sperms are washed and concentrated and then injected into the uterus, taking it closer to the egg.
When is the Procedure Used?
The intrauterine insemination is a non-invasive procedure compared to the other ARTs. It is also much cheaper than invasive procedures such as in vitro fertilization. When the cause behind infertility is just the sperms not able to reach the egg, artificial insemination is more than enough to get pregnant. The intrauterine insemination will be suggested by the best doctor of the IUI clinic in Mumbai in various cases which are as follow:
- When the reason behind infertility is not known
- Mild endometriosis
- In case the cervix and cervical mucus as some issues
- The sperm count is low
- Motility of the sperm is decreased
- Problems with ejaculation and erection
- same-sex couples wishing to get pregnant
- single women who want to get pregnant
- to prevent the genetic disorder from getting passed on to the offspring
It is also effective in the following scenarios:
- women who have moderate endometriosis
- women with both the fallopian tubes removed or both of the tubes are blocked
- women who suffer from the fallopian disease
- men who can’t produce sperms (only if the couple wishes to consider a donor)
In other cases, IVF will be an effective treatment to get pregnant
What to Expect?
The IUI procedure will take just one or two minutes at the doctor’s office. Before the procedure, you have to prepare for it. The procedure might be done in a natural cycle where no medications are administered or it can be combined with medications to stimulate the ovary. The medications that are usually given are Clomid, human Chorionic Gonadotropin, and follicle-stimulating hormone.
The doctor will then give you a proper timeline which will consist of several visits and assessments. The procedure will be performed when both are ready.
During the Procedure
- you will lie on the exam table and the doctor will open the vagina and analyze the cervix using a speculum
- Then the doctor will connect a vial possessing a sample of the healthy sperm to a long thin tube called the catheter.
- The catheter will be inserted into the vagina through the cervical opening into the uterus
- The sperm sample will be pushed into the uterus through the tube followed by the removal of the catheter tube
You will have to lie down on the table post insemination for around 10 to 30 minutes. Most of the women will only feel mild discomfort during the procedure while some might feel mild uterine cramping or vaginal bleeding.
Once the procedure is complete, the doctor might suggest some practices and medication to improve the success rate.
Intrauterine insemination can give you the boon of pregnancy and the IUI cost in Mumbai is reasonable and better compared to other procedures.