Important Pointer & Requirements - Australian Citizenship Application
Australia is a popular destination for migrants and the government authorities accept thousands of applications each year to offer Australian Citizenship. The Australian government also rejects a significant number of applications. Australian citizenship is a procedure by which non-resident citizens of Australia become a willing citizen of Australia. After getting Australian citizenship one can live and work in Australia freely.
An important part of becoming an Australian citizen is the understanding and commitment to the values of Australia, its rules and regulations, the government, and its people. According to the Australian citizenship act children born in Australia after 1986 will become Australian citizens only if one of their parents is an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
Australian citizenship application is a three-step process which includes:
- Australian Visa: Apply for a visa like a tourist visa, study visa, work, and business visa through the Australian embassy. These visas are only for a temporary basis and do not allow anyone to live and work permanently in Australia.
- Permanent Residency: One must apply for permanent resident status, which can be a long and difficult journey.
- Citizenship for Australia: After being a permanent resident you may be able to become an Australian citizen after meeting other eligibility requirements.
Criteria for Australian Citizenship Application
- The age limit must be between 18 and 60 years of age.
- You must be living continuously and legally in Australia for 4 years.
- Physical presence in Australia for 4 years is necessary for citizenship and one must not be absent from the country for more than 365 days and must be living in Australia for at least 9 out of 12 months within a year.
- Possession of good character is also necessary to acquire Australian citizenship.
- Australian citizenship is also Dual Citizenship which means a person can be a legal citizen of two or more nations at the same time.
- One must possess basic knowledge of English as English is the national language of Australia. One must pass the Australian citizenship test which is an MCQ based test.
What is Australian citizenship by conferral?
Citizenship by descent means when you claim citizenship by your parentage or location of your birth. On the other hand, Australian citizenship by conferral means that when one asks for citizenship based on their visa status. Adoption by Australian parents can also help to get you Australian citizenship by filling a simple form.
Australia is a peaceful, stable, and prosperous country and it is beneficial for you and your family to become citizens of Australia.
You can also get the Australian passport which is among the world's most powerful passports through which you can visit 157 countries without a visa. Australian citizens can travel in and outside Australia freely and for as much long as you want. You will also be able to take part in democratic processes and help to shape Australia's future. Before filing an application for Australian citizenship keep all the important factors in mind as it reduces the chances of your application getting rejected.